Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lame Talkback

Sometimes I've been on road trips in outback Australia, and my only entertainment has been the car radio. Away from the cities I might pick up a faint signal from a commercial station playing country, but usually I'm stuck with  the ABC which often fills up its time with delights such as the Country Hour (I love hearing latest commodities prices), and talkback. This is sometimes bearable, but on occasion the host struggles to find an engaging topic. The worst was an hour long session heard in Far North Queensland on "favourite canned foods". Thankfully we reached the 11am news and I assumed that the talkback had finished, but no, it continued on for another thirty minutes with classic tales of canned food.

That tedious topic was bettered (or should that worsered) last Saturday, when using my favourite iPhone radio app tuned to English radio (the BRMB late show from Birmingham), the last hour was spent debating the merits of eggs versus peas. The host explained that he'd only reached the studio with seconds to spare after driving down from Manchester earlier that evening, and being stuck on the congested M6, but I still don't forgive him. But the worst part of the story is how his show so deadened my senses I became stupefied, lost all initiative and ended up listening for the entire hour in a semiconscious state. Shame on me.

1 comment:

  1. I would not like to be a passenger in your car for fear of death by boredom or your driving in a semi-conscious state!

    ReplyDelete