Sunday, September 26, 2010

Killer Ants

Last spring on the endless quest for wildflowers, I found myself strolling through a random field near New Norcia. After taking some pretty photos and returning to the car, I discovered I was covered in enormous meat ants, all climbing upward towards my head. In retrospect, parking on top of their nest was probably unwise.

From little gumnuts big things grow

After frantic removal of clothing, and much brushing down and jiggling, I seemed free of them and drove off, but not far down the road, discovered hordes of the beasts hiding in the pleats and folds of my trousers and shirt. They would emerge periodically in waves, trying to overwhelm me, hoping to distract me enough to crash the car, and then to feast on my body.

I will write the thrilling conclusion to this story in a later post but for now I will leave you wondering:- did I survive? Am I now alive, or is this entire blog being written by the ant colonies' collective intelligence?

No comments:

Post a Comment