Monday, October 4, 2010

Savoury Morning Tea

When I return home every evening, I pour the contents of my sack of mail over the lounge floor, and start writing replies to my thousands of postcards and letters. In truth, most of my correspondence is scanned electronically and sent to a team in Bangalore to respond on my behalf, but a few interesting items still reach me. And a question I'm repeatedly asked is "Lewk, if I was asked to bring in savoury food for morning tea, what should I choose?"

This is deceptively tricky. More commonly, sweets (biscuits, cake, dried fruit) are requested, but savoury snacks  require more thought. And since I'm paid to think for you, here are my suggestions.

1. salt and vinegar crisps (not Pringles which are all identically shaped, thus reducing the excitement)
2. Monster Munch (illustration below)
3. feta and spinach rolls
4. pizza
5. a lump of cheddar
6. deep fried brie
7. vegetarian spring rolls

And a word of warning for novices - don't fall for the corn chips and salsa dip trap. This is such a predictable choice that your lack of imagination will be held against you.

Recommended daily intake is zero.

5 comments:

  1. Pringles salt and vingear may not have exciting shapes but they're the tastiest.

    I will also note the enxt time you over over NOT to serve salsa and corn chips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salsa and corn chips would be fine for me!
    Still waiting on the invitation :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no fluff, I was only talking about office morning teas. There's a different list for dinner parties and other events !

    ReplyDelete
  4. But I like the corn chips and salsa dips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like em too actually. Part of the reason they should be banned is because I tend to eat a whole packet by myself.

    ReplyDelete