Friday, October 8, 2010

Reverse 3-D

Spending half my free time in cinemas, reviewing movies for the New York Times, and the Subiaco Post Entertainment Insert among others, I watch many 3-D movies. And it seems to me that the effect wears off within 30 minutes, and I'm left regretting paying the surcharge and the inconvenience of wearing the clunky glasses. So my solution is to wear the glasses upside-down. It will BLOW YOUR MIND. Everything far away will appear close, and everything close will appear far. The experience of the Legends of the Guardian owl movie was richened immeasurably by the reverse 3-D effect, whereby Mangy Owl was flying towards me and yet becoming smaller and smaller. Objects in the foreground were being obscured by distant background objects and other impossible effects hit me all at once in a mind-altering wave that reminded me of the party where I had too many lemon, lime and bitters, and lamingtons and needed to sit down.


2 comments:

  1. I think you are wishing you were a child of the 60's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed. I've heard many lemon lime and bitters were consumed back then.

    ReplyDelete