Sunday, January 1, 2012

My Top Ten Films of 2011

Having seen 105 films in cinemas last year, I have a long list of contenders for my favourite ten. Whittling them down to the finalists is tricky, but here we go.

10. Hanna - Siaorse Ronan is a young assassin on the run

9. X-Men First Class - the best superhero story of the year

8. No Strings Attached - romantic comedy with Natalie Portman and Ashton Kucher

7. Sucker Punch - amazing visuals

6. Source Code - mind-twisting science fiction storyline

5. True Grit - Coen Brothers western

4. Melancholia - the opening slow-mo sequence is the most memorable four minutes of my entire year

3. Sarah's Key - such a poignant story of the second world war

2. Midnight in Paris - I love both Paris and midnight.

1. Black Swan - saw this twice.

Note that none of the above are 3-D. Although several blockbusters in the extra dimension were moderately enjoyable at the time, they didn't make a lasting impression on me.

1 comment:

  1. have you forgotten about Barney's Version, We Need to Talk about Kevin, The Trip, Incendies, Biutifu, Contagion, Eye of the Storm, The Hunter? So many movies, so little time...

    ReplyDelete