Sunday, March 27, 2011

I've Been Surveyed

Sitting at home this afternoon, there was a knock at the door. A lady was surveying the street for Roy Morgan Research, and wanted to know who I would vote for, what tv and radio I'd seen recently, my favourite banks and many other topics. She raced through dozens of questions and I had fun responding. I mean how often do people really care about my opinions? On her way out, she left a 130 page survey booklet and said that were I to complete it and send it back within a fortnight, I'd be given a $50 voucher. Sounds enticing no? Actually the answer is a definite no. Reading the fine print, I could only spend my voucher on hideously overpriced prizes from their catalogue, including a pedometer, a 2 month subscription to a financial newsletter, a year's subscription to a website that I currently visit for free, an emergency cardigan and several other remaindered items that nobody in their right mind would buy. Somehow I can't see too many suckers completing one of these surveys for those lame prizes.

UPDATE. An emergency cardigan is bright orange for high visibility, and contains a GPS transmitter. When you're in trouble, you activate the GPS and an emergency helicopter rescue team will be dispatched to your location. I received one for my birthday a couple of years ago and it was a bit embarrassing when ironing it I accidentally pressed the button. 12 minutes later a helicopter crew had landed in my backyard, and I faked a heart attack just to make everyone feel useful. I did recover quite quickly when the defibrillator came out though.

4 comments:

  1. I’m curious about the ‘emergency cardigan’. Does it explain how it differ to a general cardigan ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless you like completing surveys. In which case you would do it for free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K, even you might be deterred by the 2nd part of the survey - a diary in which you record what radio or tv you're listening to every hour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm taking your update with a pinch of salt. You had me for the first couple of lines.

    ReplyDelete