Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Beginner Wining

For decades, I've been developing my wine palate. Sampling various vintages, ranging from reds to rosés to whites, dry wines to dessert wines, trying to increase my sophistication and moving further away from my childhood love of raspberry cordial and lemonade. So on the weekend I requested my current favouite, the Brown Brothers Crouchon Riesling, feeling awfully posh UNTIL I was told that this was a beginner's drink, the sort of wine that kids try first off to get a taste for wine, with the alcohol hidden underneath the strong, sweet flavours of pear and melons. So in effect, I've got nowhere. My palate is equivalent to a twelve-year old's, and I've completely given up hope of ever appreciated dry wines, after literally billions of glasses of wine, costing tens of thousands of dollars. In fact, I'm inclined compelled to give up wine altogether and revert to the sugary syruppy cordial I truly love.

1 comment: