Saturday, October 1, 2011

Things I Hate #1

You visit a website in search of information. Rather than showing a comprehensive list of the site's content, you're confronted with questions as to who you are. Then depending on your response, a tailored subset of the content is available to you. How thoughtful of them.

For instance, the menu to the right is from a university homepage. It doesn't allow me to follow a link directly to the page I want; instead my poor brain has to work out what category of person the website designer thinks I am. This often leads to an identity crisis as I can't fit myself into any of their categories. There's no option for "Rival University Staff", or "Confused Web-surfer". So I try a few options and none of them leads to the page I want, so I give up and google instead.

Or when I visit an online shop the options are: ProductsSolutionsStore or Company. What on earth do these labels mean?

Be thankful that mobile websites are designed to work on such small screens they're forced to be more focused and concise. It's often easier navigating via a phone's web browser than visiting the full website with their fancy presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment