Saturday, October 1, 2011

If Life Were a Video Game

Since realising that life is an unending video game, I've been trying to figure out the rules, so I can try to win or at least not lose all my lives too quickly.

Firstly, what type of game am I in? Here are some possibilities:

1. Counter Strike, a first person shooter, where I have to kill the enemy as they pop out in front of me. Not likely. Some high school massacres have been carried out by kids who got this wrong idea.

2. King's Quest X. A role-playing game where I have to assemble a party of adventurers, complete various quests, gaining experience and wisdom and eventually becoming a hero. Possibly.

Lose 10 pts if the boss catches you out of your seat
Gain 15 pts if you don't visit the toilets all day
3. Monopoly: everyone is competing to accumulate the greatest wealth and property. There are many players in this game, but I'm not one of them.

4. Space Invaders. Unlikely. But if any aliens in formation do start zig-zagging down from the sky toward me I'll know what to do (i.e. find my laser pointer, and zap them one by one).

5. Pac-Man. Wander around gobbling up as much as possible (including the occasional fruit). Nope, except at mealtimes.

6. Myst. An immersive adventure game of puzzles and beautiful scenery and mystical experiences. I'm living in Perth so that's a no. If I was in Bickley, this might be different.

7. Grand Theft Auto Wembley: Suburb of Sin. This involves speeding around the suburbs, avoiding the cops and carrying out various tasks (for instance picking up an axe from Bunnings, fist-fighting various crims)

My life most resembles 2 and 7. Both of these games are complex and have no shortcuts. You just have to plug away, day after day, with occasional bursts of excitement but most of the time you're just plodding around from one place to another doing mundane tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment