Thursday, June 20, 2013

Winter Solstice

Tomorrow being the Winter Solstice, it's important to celebrate the event appropriately. So in keeping with my past experience of this chilly and sniffly time of year, I'll be spending most of the day sleeping in snug and warm and away from cold and flu viruses. Unfortunately it's a work day, but my observance of this culturally significant event has to take precedence. I'll also be setting a new personal record for hot chocolate consumption.

My house in midwinter.
On a related note, I'd like to promote a return to the pre-Industrial period when our days were governed by the timing of dawn and dusk. When our ancestors toiled in fields, they started at sunrise and ended at sunset. So in the shorter days of winter, the working day was much reduced, allowing more time for sleeping and bible-reading. However my modern workplace takes no account of the changing of the seasons, and so I am feeling terribly out of sync with the natural world.    

No comments:

Post a Comment