Wednesday, June 5, 2013

More Revolutionary Concepts in Literature

Another aspect of real life you'll see in my novel is forgetfulness. I often read a story in which one character is recounting an earlier conversation or describing an incident that happened to them. And the words and actions seem are remembered verbatim, 100% accurate, as if they had been recorded and transcribed. Well when I'm recalling a conversation, most of the words are lost to me and I can only remember the gist of it. I'll know that someone made a witty comment but the actual comment has completely gone from my memory. So I will dump the literary convention of perfect recall and my novel will feature an old dude sitting around a campfire telling stories from his youth. But he'll get muddled and not remember the endings, and people's names will change halfway through, and the chronology will be jumbled, and most of the dialogue will be forgotten. Because that's the way my brain works.

No comments:

Post a Comment