Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Stuck in a Rut

People over thirty are generally so set in their ways that they need an almighty shove in order to make a change. If left to their own devices without outside intervention, they can often be found creating a comfortable daily routine for themselves. Getting up at the same time, wearing the same combination of clothes, taking the same route to work, eating the same lunch, watching the same tv programs, eating the same weekly meals.

I say this because after months of struggling with the idea of wearing a new watch, I've abandoned it for the old one and don't even know where the new one is. And I'm much happier wearing my 1996 Timex digital with disintegrating strap. I felt uneasy switching to the analogue watch, and I never got over the lack of a day of the week display. But the catalyst for regressing was a week ago when I tried to change the date. Without reference to the manual, I vaguely remembered that I needed to pull out the crown to the third position. It wouldn't go past the first position so I used all my strength and managed to pull the crown plus other components off the watch and onto the floor. I don't think I ever found all the bits, but I stuck the crown back in as best I could. I doubt it's very waterproof now.  Out of curiosity I did then check the manual and found there was no third position. Whoops.

But it's for the best. I'm back in my comfort zone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment