Monday, December 6, 2010

More Crud

You may not be aware, but crud and cruddedness is a venerable concept.
Here's Sturgeon's Law (1958) -

Ninety percent of everything is crud”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law

Carrying on this tradition, I proudly declare that my blog certainly abides by this law. And this post in particular falls in the "crud" category. I had planned to post a beautiful sunset photo today but the heavy clouds and rain have kept me and my camera inside.

Anyhoo, here's the full explanation of Sturgeon's Law from the man himself -
I repeat Sturgeon’s Revelation, which was wrung out of me after twenty years of wearying defense of science fiction against attacks of people who used the worst examples of the field for ammunition, and whose conclusion was that ninety percent of SF is crud.
Using the same standards that categorize 90% of science fiction as trash, crud, or crap, it can be argued that 90% of film, literature, consumer goods, etc. are crap. In other words, the claim (or fact) that 90% of science fiction is crap is ultimately uninformative, because science fiction conforms to the same trends of quality as all other artforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment