Thursday, October 4, 2012

Secret Rat Running

On heavy traffic days like today, a feeling of dread hits me and my car as soon as we reach the street  and all we see ahead are red tail lights and queues of cars idling. So I took the emergency rat run route, just a couple of streets west of the main road through the suburb and was pleased but amazed to find it completely deserted. How can commuters be so ignorant that they'll be stuck in congestion for 10 minutes when there's an alternative route only a few hundred metres away? I've never once seen anyone use my shortcut. Perhaps my hatred of waiting around and restless nature means that I can't stand not moving and will instead explore alternative routes, whereas others put up with the delay without thinking. Whatever the case, I dread the day that built-in car navigation systems become ubiquitous, and smart enough to start rerouting people through my shortcut to avoid congestion, and I can't use local knowledge to my advantage.  

No comments:

Post a Comment