Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Counting Pressure

I long for the innocent days before I started obsessively documenting my life. From the early 1990s I've recorded every cinema visis. This year I've started listing all books read. My photography has grown from an occasional activity for special occasions (overseas holidays and birthdays) to a regular database of images, archived every few days. I've keep a diary of dreams since the 1980s. And some years I write a diary.

No longer can I live in the moment. Instead I'm monitoring how many films I've seen this year, or is my book count high enough. There are performance targets I must meet and they influence my behaviour. No longer can I live in the moment, instead I'm driven by numbers.

If only I was strong enough to throw away the lists and records and break free. But no, it's not going to happen. I'm devoted so much time to this I can't stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment