Sunday, July 1, 2012

Top Ten Movies of 2012

Now that we've reached mid-year, I can safely publish my top ten movies of 2012 - the world's earliest such list. This is final, not because no better films will appear in the next six months but because I swear to not watch anything more till the new year.

1. Cabin in the Woods - Joss Whedon's comedy horror was so layered I had to see it twice. It was only with the knowledge of coming plot points that I could appreciate the first third of the movie and the foreshadowing of future events.

2. Carnage - stick four people in a room and have them argue and drink for a couple of hours. Sounds like Friday afternoon in the office.

3. The Avengers - another Joss Whedon comedy masterpiece.

4. Girl with a Dragon Tattoo - the best thriller.

5. 21 Jump Street - the funniest film of the year.

6. Goodbye First Love - a moody French non-romance.

7.  Hugo - the best 3D experience (outside of reality). Paris has never looked more beautiful. Except in Midnight in Paris. And Amelie. And Before Sunset. Amd Moulin Rouge. And the Dreamers. And Zazie Dans Le Metro.

8. The Skin I Live In - Pedro Almodovar's horrific thriller got under my skin.

9. Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows - unexpectedly funtastic.

10. The Woman in Black - still haunts me whenever I'm wandering around my home in darkness. I'm certain the Woman in Black is at large.

No comments:

Post a Comment