Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cleaning Up

Participating in Clean Up Australia Day last week, and personally de-littering 0.0000013% of the Australian landmass, I was wondering why I got involved. The free breakfast afterwards helped, but I also relished the chance to crawl around in bushes collecting discarded tissues and half-eaten sandwiches.

But I was conscious of the fact that I was doing someone else's job. The team of groundskeepers and gardeners are responsible for keeping this area looking pristine. And if I were them, I'd be slightly miffed to see a team of amateurs attempting to take over some of their duties. So why not return the favour, and allow the gardeners to spend a day doing my office duties? Let them loose on some computer programs. Or why not let untrained folks to have a go at some auditing or accounting?

No comments:

Post a Comment