Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Blinded by the Equinox

As the autumnal equinox approaches, the alignment of the sun is reaching its orientation of greatest significance and mystical effect. Not living inside Stonehenge or within the Tomb of Osiris, the local equivalent is the east-west orientation of many Perth streets. And because the sun sets due West at equinox, the blinding experience of driving towards the beach on a sunny afternoon consists of a glowing orb burning directly into your retina and leaving its imprint even minutes later. But even more dazzling is the drive east away from the setting sun, with both wing mirrors and the rear-view mirror all focusing the sunlight into your eyes. I resort to turning all my mirrors around so that my vision is preserved, although I have no knowledge of the position of any cars around me.

Only another fortnight to go and the sun will be safely further north as we head into the bitter winter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment