Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Future Archaeology

Avidly watching Time Team this week, the show where a bunch of archaeologists start digging up your garden to discover a mass grave of plague victims, or the mosaic from a Roman villa, I've been wishing that they come to my property one day. But I fear there's very little to find of interest under the soil, other than a few tags from plants I've bought that perished over summer and ended up in shallow graves. The problem is that these days rubbish collection is too efficient. Unlike previous decades, it's no longer necessary to dig a pit for household waste. And it's rare to bury your dead relatives under the lemon tree even if they would provide a welcome slow release source of fertiliser. So my plan is to strategically leave items of interest under ground rather than toss them in the bin. I'll bury some cans of baked beans, some CDs, an old mobile phone, some costume jewelry, and maybe a few handmade flint arrowheads, just to get the archaeologists excited. And then all I need to do is email Tony, and see if he can bring his team over for a riveting three days of digging. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment