Monday, August 6, 2012

Avoiding the Olympics

Every four years I'm faced with a titanic internal struggle. Being a sports fan, I'm tempted to spend two weeks absorbed in the Olympics to the exclusion of all else, but not enjoying jingoistic commentary nor the feeling that the whole event is a corporate promotional brainwash, I avoid watching.

This attitude has benefits. Cinemas are mostly empty while potential patrons are at home watching kayaking and trampolining. And local tennis courts are deserted.

And in any case, playing sport is many times more enjoyable than watching. When attending local footy matches, the highlight is often having a kick at half-time. It's a completely immersive experience whereas spectating only occupies a portion of my attention. For instance, watching sport on tv is not stimulating enough so I'll simultaneously read or doing a puzzle or browse the internet.

So I welcome the Olympics, and wish they were more frequent even if I don't actually watch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment