Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Top Ten Novels of 2016

2016 was a solid year of fiction reading for me. And of the 220 novels I consumed, here are my favourite ten.

10.  Bleak Expectations by Mark Evans  - hilarious story of young Pip living in Dickensian London

9. The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman - Harry Potter for adults

8. Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink - nearly as weird as the podcast

7.  The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter - true horror, although  when I say true I mean fictional

6.  Pet Semetary by Stephen King - his creepiest story

5. In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson - amusing travelogue

4. The Crook Factory by Dan Simmons - the fictionalised life of Hemingway in Cuba

3. Patricia Highsmith Selected Novels and Short Stories - captivating

2. The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith - inspired the film Carol

1. Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain - humorous, tragic and historically fascinating all in one


No comments:

Post a Comment