Thursday, January 22, 2015

Extended Christmas Season

Every year I'm tempted to extend the Christmas season further. Now that we're in late January and supplies of mince pies and Christmas puds are still holding out, I'm inclined to leave tinsel and other decorations up for another month. But I'm also conscious of the looming deadline of Candlemas - the 2nd February, which marks 40 days after Christmas, and is the traditional end of the festive season. In previous centuries, holly and ivy was taken down on Candlemas Eve, for any decorations left up too long would result in a death among acquaintances.

It also seems that Candlemas is associated with Groundhog Day, which falls on the same day.

So my plan this year is to leave the decorations up until 1st February, and then I shall release my groundhogs the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment