Friday, February 1, 2013

Raised Reefs

Note to self. Persistent onshore winds lower the local sea level. So before swimming across the reef at Granny's Pool, make sure that the winds aren't strong enough to have pushed all but a few inches of water from on top of the jagged rocks.

This is relevant because for the last few weeks, easterly winds from the hot inland have been responsible for about a 50cm drop in sea level at my favourite beach. And thus my normal swimming route across the reef has been treachorous, and I have cuts on my hands and feet. I've had to increase my flotation by sucking in a lungful of air and holding it as I passed through the shallowest of passages. I had thought that tides were responsible but at this location, tides are insignificant.

Short of installing an electronic gauge to report on sea conditions remotely, I should use seabreeze.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment