Monday, January 28, 2013

Paid Handsomely for Pressing Buttons

I receive tens of thousands of dollars every year for pressing buttons. An alien observer would see me spending most of the day pressing various keys on a keyboard and mouse, interspersed with long periods of contemplation (in which I sit still and think, and eat chocolate or look outside). How can that be? How can pressing the right combination of buttons be rewarded so well? The alien would have more luck explaining brickies building a wall, or a farmer growing a crop. But whatever mysterious process I'm involved in occurs more in my brain and in the virtual world rather than in the physical world. In response to auditory or visual stimuli (verbal requests, or emails or memos), I press appropriate buttons.

It's weird, but I'm thankful that I can get away with this rather than tiring my body out in a more physical vocation. This arrangement leaves me with enough surplus energy to waste on more important pursuits such as swimming and tennissing.

No comments:

Post a Comment