Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Imaginary Numbers in Everyday Life

Having studied imaginary numbers and their benefits in simplifying calculations in both mathematics and physics, it's obvious that they have a wider use.

In developments that could rock the traditional fields of accountancy and statistics, my colleagues and I have been exploring their application in both of these areas.

For instance, in my personal accounts, I now regard bills that are unjustly levied as being in imaginary dollars rather than real dollars. For instance, a parking fine that I don't agree with (i.e. all of them) would be classified as imaginary, and I would not in reality have to pay it. Similarly, a Lotto win by members of my family is also regarded as imaginary because the proceeds are not available for spending; instead they are instantaneously ploughed straight into buying more tickets.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's the same for my fortnightly pay!! It goes straight into my mortgage. If only I could imagine it being ten times as much...

    ReplyDelete